WELCOME ABOARD ALICE – THE GLASS BOTTOMED BOAT AT GAIRLOCH
a boat trip with the added bonus that you get to see things under the water too!
Take a trip around Loch Gairloch and discover an amazing world of wildlife above, on and below the water!
Loch Gairloch is a beautiful, natural sea loch, with a pristine sea-bed providing a nursery for the many varieties of plant and animals that live here including starfish, crabs, sea urchins, fish and an amazing array of kelps.
The highlight for many is our resident seal population (sometimes called a ‘Bob’), and we would normally expect to see grey and common seals either hauled out or in the water. Birdlife is prolific, and during the warmer months – May to September – will often include the auks; black and common guillemot and razorbill in particular with an occasional puffin. Oyster catcher, eider, greylag, terns, curlew, turnstone, redshank and merganser are all regular visitors.
Rarer sightings include harbour porpoise, sea eagle and otter but do NOT choose this trip if you have your heart set on whales and dolphins – there are other operators on the pier who will take you further afield – and one of their tours is highly recommended. Please ask us about it.
Our trip lasts around 90 minutes, and typically visits the 3 islands of Eilean Fraoch, An t’Sabhail and Shieldaig which are great places to see birds, underwater life and seals.
See for yourself! A typical tour on a typical Wester Ross day!
dont believe the hype…
BUT YOU CAN BELIEVE THE REVIEWS (these are live feeds of the latest Trip Advisor reviews)
Alice is a 28 foot converted ships lifeboat that takes 11 passengers (plus the occasional pooch!) Each person has their own underwater viewing port.
We carry full safety equipment including lifejackets, life-raft and flares, two VHF Radios, a GPS plotter and depth sounder. She has a nice deep safe cockpit with seats for everyone. We promise you’ll feel very secure in her.
AT A GLANCE
- 90 minute tour. £20 adult, £10 under 12’s, and under 12 months foc.
- Well behaved pets welcome provided other passengers agree.
- Simple binoculars, rain ponchos and waterproofs provided on request
- Buoyancy aids provided on request, with emergency lifejackets carried on board
- Factsheets and kids colouring sheets to keep the little ones busy!
- If we have time, the kids get a shot at steering. (Kids age restricted to 104)
- Walk in bookings are fine but be aware space is limited in high season
- All major credit cards taken
- All on-line bookings are refundable in the event of bad weather. If you cannot come, please give us 24 hours notice.
- Up to date spotting board outside the shed – we often ask the kids to help us fill it in
All inclusive rates | 2020 season
Adults £20. Children under 12 £10. Toddlers under 12 months free
Please ask us about the Sea Whisper project.
We are hoping to bring a carbon zero wildlife experience to Wester Ross in 2021
Glass Bottomed Boat is delighted to be sponsors of the Net Zero waste bin at the pier. Please use this to discard your used fishing tackle and help us keep it out of the sea!